Re: [NTLK] Boy, I want the same drug...

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 17 2007 - 18:09:01 EDT

Yes this is possible BUT no one here that I know of is willing to spend that
much to get a mould and then do a production OR prototype run.
Let me say one thing about the possible fabrication of these Battery Trays
by any one individual or company.
They are a VERY costly venture primarily because of the design. I've already
discussed and given links to my photos of this and the people in the
business indicate that just to make a mould for them is costly due to the
cut outs especially that the tolerances are so tight. But even worse for us
if we are considering using higher capacity NiMH AA...

The other issue is that this is not ABS only it's ABS with a 30% mix of
FibreGlas which increases the stiffness of the item. It's also a multi part
mould with at minimum two that interlock for the cut outs which causes more
difficulty. Beyond this the mould material will cost more depending on the
actual material used which will determine the life span of the mould and not
to say the least we'd have to figure this out first so it could accommodate
the number of runs.

I know there are a few people on the list much better knowledgeable in this
matter and they can chime in anytime to correct an incorrect info I might
have mentioned. But bottom line it is going to cost a whole lot This is one
of the reasons the Frozen Newton is a difficult project to get off the
ground. Those guys in Japan did it the cheapest way possible and actually
found someone willing to do it. To many companies in the US are not willing
to even consider a project with a run less 15-25K piece run and you have to
forecast it will be used again for them to consider giving any breaks. Now
if someone ;-) was in the business and knew enough contacts - maybe, and
only maybe something of this type could be done...

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung