Re: [NTLK] [ANN] Flashpoint 0.2 - Getting Things Done with the Newton

From: Eckhart Köppen <eck1003_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu Mar 15 2007 - 17:10:07 EDT

On 15. Mar 2007, at 03:35, knowtree@aloha.com wrote:

> 1. What are the heavy lines along the right side of the Subprojects
> tab
> for? When I tap on Next Action or Notes I still see a little piece
> of them,
> as if the overlay window were slightly smaller. Is this by design?

These are the subproject priorities. I have to check if there are
sometimes redraw issues, so that parts of them are still visible, but
they should only be visible in the next action list view, or the
subproject list.

> 2. Took me awhile to figure out how to add a sub-project. Can you
> add a
> "New" button on the -- what is it on the Newton, the toolbar with
> the "i"
> and "x" buttons. That would match the behavior of Names and Dates.

Thanks, that's a good suggestion :)

> I want to poke around with Newton programing. I have one of the
> last of the
> colorful iMacs, a Cobalt blue one. It can run OS-9 just fine, and
> OS-X but
> really slow. No serial ports. Would this be a useful development
> platform?

Absolutely. I started with a Performa 6200, probably the worst
machine Apple ever made. I guess that your iMac would run OS X fine
given enough RAM, I definitely like OS X better than OS 9 for
development because crashes of Classic don't take the whole system down.

> I also have one of the last flat screen PPC iMacs, but it does not
> boot
> into OS-9 (currently Tiger) and I can never get to it because my
> son uses
> it for WoW and Bryce and Photoshop and Flash.

I use Classic under OS X and that works just fine.

> Do I need any software beyond what is on UNNA? Like a compiler or a
> good
> programming editor?

The Newton Toolkit (NTK) is enough, and under OS X, make sure that
you have the TCPSerial extension installed so that you get the needed
fake serial ports.

Eckhart