Re: [NTLK] Q: Utility Programs

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 12 2007 - 21:21:51 EDT

On 3/12/07, Woody Smith <woodysmith@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi Sonny
>
> It may be SBM Utilities

Hm, well I checked and it doesn't offer anything close to what I want.
But it is a useful package which I will have to purchase so I can use the
backup restore feature I see on it...

 ATA driver utilities

What is this? I don't recall it having special utilities to do this...

It is generally stated that you cannot make a copy of a package on
> the Newt it is installed on but their is a work around or two.

Yes, it's a safety feature I believe but it's also a problem which prevents
me from setting up cards easily the way I like.
Especially for the loaner card program when I'm asked if I have one...

Beam to another newt with the card you want the package on.

Yeah - I do this already but it's far too slow a process when needing to
setup things for multiple people :(

The more convoluted approach is to have the package on the internal
> store and make a 'card' backup.
> Now move the package to the card and restore the package to the
> internal store from the backup.
> The newt will complain that it couldn't activate the package since it
> was already on the card, it will still be installed on the internal
> store but frozen.

Yup, another well documented and used procedure I use - but like before
there's gotta be something that can do this better.

Woody, appreciate the thorough reply. My only wish is that someone who's
able write a package that freezes the original package and copies it back to
the same or different store. Likely the best people who'd be able to write
this quickly would be a Newton OS coder but one can only hope that someone
out there has the knowledge and time to write this app no matter how simple
or complicated it maybe.

I'll continue to use the processes mentioned above and hope that someone out
there might have a utility to do such a job as requested...

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung