Re: [NTLK] Noobie to the newton...

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Sun Mar 11 2007 - 10:20:59 EDT

On 3/11/2007 3:23 AM, Scott Welch wrote:
> Hi all, i just recently got a newton 2000. I am wondering how to sync it to
> my intel imac. It has a WaveLan turbo bronze wifi card, and a 4 meg flash
> card. I dont have the drivers for the flash card installed on the newton, so
> im not sure on how to get anything synced to it since i dont have a serial
> cable. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

While there are several programs currently in development to fix the
sync issues, at this point there is no reliable sync software. And even
if there were I would most certainly make a backup before I synced. It
is too easy for the software (or you) to make a mistake an you end up
with a ton of duplicate entries or a corrupted database. Syncing is one
of the most problematic areas of the Newton (always has been, even newer
PDA's have issues at times). You can get something semi reliable if you
use older software such as Claris works and NCU (Newton Connection
Utilities). However being that you have a Intel Mac that solution goes
out the window (even if you had a serial cable).

The OSX solution that is being developed by Simon Bell might do syncing
in time, but again you need a serial cable (at least I don't believe he
is adding wireless or at least not for a while). It is the old boot
strapping issue: how do you install drivers when you need the drivers
installed to do it. Also while you can install packages and get online
etc via wireless, I can't imagine doing a sync wireless. It can be a
problem via serial let alone wireless. Simple exporting and importing
should be ok, though NCX (Simon Bell's program) only does installing of
packages and backups last I heard.

In short, this may be available soon....but not right now.

-Dan