Re: [NTLK] Keyboard

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Fri Jun 29 2007 - 03:07:43 EDT

On Jun 28, 2007, at 8:10 PM, Sonny Hung wrote:

> On 6/28/07, kevin redding <big_h00pla@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Will the Newton Keyboard interface with all versions of Newton?
>
> Will it work with any other computers?
>
> It could be require some type of driver I would believe.
> It does work with the Palm PDA with a driver that was written and
> sometimes
> seen on eBay. It needs an adapter IIRC.

AFAIK, the keyboard uses its own protocol. So, yes, if there is a
driver, it would likely work with an older Mac (if the pin-out
matches), or with a newer computer via an adapter. But I doubt that
there is an existing driver, and I am sure that any physical adapter
would be quite involved. So for all practical reasons, the keyboard
will not work with anything else.

If you must, there is an OpenSource project for Atmel
microcontrollers that explains how to connect odd devices to USB, so
you could convert the keyboard serial port into a standard USB
keyboard for PCs and new Macs, but you need to be able to solder,
etch, and understand Atmel machine language... .

----
http://robowerk.com/