Re: [NTLK] eMate hinge repairs

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 22:55:29 EDT

Thanks for your kind words William.
I am happy to do this for for folks who would prefer not to do it
themselves. It is time consuming but not terribly difficult, unless
the springs have started winding around the hinge. see Franks
excellent directions at
<http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html>

I have opened more than 50 eMates, all had sticky and dirty lubricant,
at least half had the beginnings of the spring legs shortening and four
had released springs resting on the display ribbon that had not yet
fully severed any of the traces but the process was beginning. On a
couple of occasions the spring was shorting across traces and causing
symptoms but the traces were still intact, the hinge repair and a bit
of electrical tape solved the problem.

I believe that blindly lubricating the hinges is risky. You can only
know the status of the hinges by looking at them, so you may as well
clean, add new grease and put a washer over them while you are at it./

Woody