Re: [NTLK] Fastest Email Method and Client for eMate

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Sat Jul 28 2007 - 01:36:48 EDT

On Jul 27, 2007, at 4:08 PM, Frank Gruendel wrote:

>> When you read an EMail using POP, it will be downloaded to your
>> machine and deleted from the server right away.
>
> I'm inclined to think you might be mistaken. I've been using POP
> with various mail programs on PCs, Macs and Newtons, and all had
> a checkbox that controlled whether the mail was kept on the server
> after download or not.
   POP is definitely designed to send the mail to the client side.
You can "leave the messages" on the server, but that doesn't help
with cases like drafts that are written and stored on a particular
client, or mail that you delete from a particular client (ie Server
doesn't update).

Basically, what I am saying is that IMAP is all about leaving the
messages on the server and keeping them there indefinitely. POP
really is designed for the client side to do the mail storage, and
keeping messages on the server does help share them among clients,
but isn't so ideal this way.

I realize this is very basic to many of you, but still wanted to
clarify?
I Hope?
Marty