Re: [NTLK] Nokia 770 and 800

From: Karel Jansens <karel.jansens_at_scarlet.be>
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 08:27:33 EDT

Dan Lingman wrote:
> Given that these are able to run linux, what is to stop one from installing
> a completely new look and new set of apps that _do_ act in an intelligent
> manner? I realize that we're not going to re-create the Newton feel that
> way, but why not see what could be done?

For one, not all drivers are open-sourced (the WiFi and power management
being the most important).

Secondly, clever things have already been done to the 770/N800: someone
ported KDE to it and others did the same with other window
managers/desktop environments.

Thirdly, people are working on porting the Angstron distribution to the
platform.

Lastly, there is Paul Guyot, to whom I sacrifice a goat every week. :)
He _will_ re-create the Newton feel, and bring world peace and galactic
harmony. :D

--
Karel Jansens