Re: [NTLK] [OT] [iPh] What I think of Newtons and iPhones

From: W. Guy Finley <wgfinley_at_mac.com>
Date: Sat Jul 14 2007 - 12:21:26 EDT

On Jul 14, 2007, at 8:31 AM, Lord Groundhog wrote:

> So the cat has exited the bag. It's not simply that I mind the
> Newton dying
> per se, it's that I mind it being allowed to die for reasons that
> are not in
> my mind adequate for such a drastic act. And the effort that would
> have
> kept it alive and kicking was exerted in another direction
> instead. IMO, it
> didn't have to be "either/or". It's as if a health authority
> decided kill
> one patient by directing all treatment entirely on another one,
> without even
> attempting to save both.

I can definitely understand that sentiment but I don't know if this
feat was even possible on Apple's part. Just how many of those who
had a hand in the Newton OS are still at Apple? Any of them? Most
of the team leadership jumped ship and went to Palm didn't they? I
thought I remember reading some about where some of the project
people went.

So from a business standpoint if you're Jobs do you have your current
developers go back and try to resurrect a dead OS or do you use those
same developers who have been doing stuff with OS X for years adapt
OS X to the iPhone?

THAT is a no-brainer.

--Guy