Re: [NTLK] One great thing about the eMate

From: Richard Plume <rplume_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 18:38:54 EDT

on 11/7/2007 5:31 PM, John Derbyshire at johnderbyshire@ntlworld.com wrote:

> One great thing about the eMate is that it's the only laptop that's
> usable in bright sunlight (at least in my experience). With the
> backlight off the eMate's reflective screen is perfectly clear when
> facing into the sunlight - I like to write outside in the summer (not
> that summer has started yet in England, we've had the wettest June on
> record, and July's no better so far). This is possible with the eMate
> but not with a a Zenith laptop, an iBook, or a MacBook. anyone else
> found a laptop that is usable in sunlight?

    You might look at the NEC MobilePro 700 - greyscale screen, large
touch-typeable keyboard, comes in 8,16 or 32-meg versions, uses common CF
cards for storage (which can be read by any Windows/Mac computer, unlike
Newton linear PCMCIA cards) and runs on 2 AA batteries. Built-in subsets of
Word, Excel, InBox, etc.

    It runs Windows CE, which may or may not be your cup of tea. They don't
make them anymore (like the eMate) but they do show up occasionaly on eBay
for under $100US.

    Rick