Re: [NTLK] [OT] Re: iBattery

From: James Grubic <james.grubic_at_bsd7.org>
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 10:51:55 EDT

> Why are people complaining about this when they upgrade to a brand-
> new phone every year or so?

It's unfortunate that people are in this "disposable" mindset now.

Why are people still on this list? They more than likely have a Newton
device. What has been one of the major sources of problems with
maintaining the Newton over time (10 years plus)? Batteries. Hence my post.

My parallel is that 10 years from now, I would expect someone out there
to be using the original iPhone much in the same way they still use
Newton. But we are so locked into the disposable electronics mindset
that we don't demand more, and the idea of keeping the device for more
than 4 years seems ludicrous to some. I find that to be a tremendous
waste. I'd rather not see one million iPhones sitting in a landfill. I
would be tremendously disappointed if Steve Jobs and Apple let that be
their legacy.

My Treo 600 is still my main phone, and I've had that for three years
already.

(BTW, regarding those who wish to separate iPhone/Newton: there are
clear similarities between the two devices. They are a generation apart.
Take one look at the iPhone's Notes application and you will see the
evolution from the Newton. So I think rational and respectful discussion
on the iPhone is absolutely acceptable on this list.)

James