Re: [NTLK] Quote of the day!

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 07:20:30 EDT

On Jul 11, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Lord Groundhog wrote:

> ~~~ On 2007/07/11 01:59, matthiasm at mm@matthiasm.com wrote ~~~
>
>> Still far better than the 3-3-3 4-4 7-7-7-7 2-2 input on numeric
>> keypads.
>

> Do cell phones still restrict people to that old "3-3-3 4-4 7-7-7-7
> 2-2"
> business? My Sony-Ericssons have a form of text prediction called
> "T9", as
> I thought all phones do. This feature was already in my first cell
> phone
>
> I also get "writing options" allowing me a choice of German,
> French, Turkish
> (?), as well as English, and I've heard that can be expanded if
> necessary
> though so far I'm getting away without looking into it.

Ah, my phone is still limited to German which is very annoying.

> Doing the two-thumb tango is one of the things that has convinced
> me that
> I'd love to be able *write* my SMS messages. To me, the ideal
> thing would
> be a PCMCIA-card for my Newt that would take a SIM and let me go
> straight
> into cell phone mode. If that happened, I'd have to have my ears
> moved up
> to make room for a permanent smile that would wrap all the way
> round my head
> -- twice.
>
> Imagine it! And once the Newton became its own phone, faxing from
> wherever
> you are and all the things that need a phone connection could just
> happen at
> the tap of the stylus...
>
> ...oops! Must have fallen asleep and started dreaming.

Seriously? That is not such a huge deal as you may think. There are
call phone modules with SIM slots available for about $100 that would
likely fit into the space that the Newton has reserved for the
expansion bay. There is even an additional data port that runs right
there plus microphone and speaker wires. Making your Newton into a
phone should be pretty easy... .

   Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/