Re: [NTLK] [ANN] Einstein becomes OpenEinstein

From: Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG_at_aafes.com>
Date: Mon Jul 09 2007 - 08:25:20 EDT

        So no time date limitation?

Doc Clu

-----Original Message-----
bounce@newtontalk.net] On Behalf Of Paul Guyot

Dear all,

During the Worldwide Newton Conference in Tokyo yesterday, I
announced that Einstein was open sourced under the GNU GPL license.
The slides are available here:
http://kallisys.com/files/newton/Einstein/EinsteinWWNC2007Slides.pdf

You can download the source code right here:
http://code.google.com/p/einstein/

The binaries are available for MacOS X:
http://einstein.googlecode.com/files/EinsteinPlatform2007.7-MacOS_X.zip

This new version includes several improvements compared to the
previous release. In particular, an important investment was made by
rewriting the emulator part (the JIT module) to support PC-
independent rewriting and decrease the memory footprint, which was
the first step towards machine-specific recompilation. In other
words, while the speed has not spectacularly increased, the heavy
work done these past weeks allowed me to design a new experimental
module where NewtonOS instructions are executed natively on ARM PDAs.

Moreover, having Einstein open source already proved extremely
fruitful. Within two days, Matthias Melcher and I got a working
Cygwin/X11 port running on Tablet PCs (this was on Saturday) and a
working Cygwin/Native GUI (with FLTK) port running the next day. The
Cygwin/X11 patches have been committed to the subversion repository
(this might be a little bit tricky for I do not have any box to check
the compilation works fine), and I believe that Matthias will be able
to produce a version compiled with Visual C++ soon.

Regards,

Paul

--
This is the NewtonTalk list - http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all