Re: [NTLK] Sick of the iHype

From: Steven Scotten <splicer_at_paroxysm.com>
Date: Tue Jul 03 2007 - 16:28:25 EDT

What we're seeing here is unprecedented actually... the desktop and
phone/handheld are using exactly the same format and field naming
system as one another.

I'm not saying there won't be glitches, but it doesn't surprise me at
all if the Mac-to-iPhone sync is the most painless sync to date.

The sad fact is, that as far as sync goes, Mac-to-Newt falls way
behind even Linux-to-WinMobile. If we're gauging sync technology
based on our Newt experience, anything devised in the last few years
will shine by comparison.

No offense intended to the folks who are working on Mac-to-Newt
sync... I don't mean to dis your efforts; to the contrary, I think
NewtSync and NCX are great, especially considering the uphill battle
you have to fight.

That doesn't mean get complacent about making backups or stopping
being careful with your data, I'm just saying that OS X Address Book
to iPhone OS X Address Book sync versus anything else is probably not
a fair fight.

Steve