Re: [NTLK] iPhone

From: W. Guy Finley <wgfinley_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon Jul 02 2007 - 15:21:56 EDT

The sim card is accessible and does not require disassembly of the
phone. Yes it is sim locked (until hacked I suppose ) to AT&T.
Given the visual voicemail feature I would think there is a good
chance it will stay that way for a while since it seems to me that
requires some flexibility on the part of the carrier. I believe AT&T
agreed to be flexible on the iPhone which is why they are the
exclusive provider. The norm in the industry is for the carrier to
make various demands on the manufacturer (I.e. Lock or modify various
features) and Apple clearly didn't want that kind of arrangement.
The line from the film Tucker comes to mind here: "You can't have
Falstaff and have him thin."

I respect the opinions of those saying they don't want to be locked
in with a carrier but if you're going to wait for a phone like this
that is unlocked and supports all the features with any carrier that
you want to use then I think you will be waiting a long time.

--Guy

Sent from my iPhone.