Re: [NTLK] Simon's NCK updates?

From: Niklas Nisbeth <noisetonepause_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jan 26 2007 - 17:51:29 EST

> On 1/26/07, Simon Bell <simonbell@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > o the app itself uses the Cocoa AppKit to do its UI. I don't think
> > you could salvage much of the UI code (would GNUStep or similar do
> > much in this area?), but code for the thread that handles the
> > connection should be reusable.
>
> If it uses Cocoa and ObjC, frankly you should give a try to GNUstep.

GNUStep doesn't have anything of CoreFoundation or CoreData (and a few
other things), only the original NeXTStep/OPENSTEP stuff and not even
all of that. I don't think it reads the Apple binary .nibs either.

I haven't done more than a few test apps in Cocoa or GNUstep (I was
briefly very, very fascinated with GS, but it has a few problems,
mostly caused by their insistence on playing nice with FreeDesktop
standards etc), but from what I've picked up, GNUstep apps will mostly
be source compatible with Cocoa, but the other way around is more rare.

Also, whilst GNUstep is crossplatform, it's not some a lot of people
have installed, certainly not Windows users - and it's not as easy to
install as it should be... and I think it needs Cygwin too, which by
all accounts is a bit of a hassle.