Re: [NTLK] Simon's NCK updates?

From: Jochen Schäfer <js.josch_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri Jan 26 2007 - 16:08:02 EST

Simon Bell schrieb:
> On 26 Jan, 2007, at 9:51 am, Jochen Schäfer wrote:
>
>> How feasible would it be to port the framework (GUI is most
>> certainly a
>> problem) over to, say, Linux?
>
> I honestly have no idea; I didn�t create it with portability in mind.
> I wouldn�t even know how to translate OS X�s bundle mechanism to
> another app architecture.
Should be like almost all shared library, I guess.

> Some of the issues are:
>
> o the Newton framework is mostly C++, but some Objective-C++ is
> creeping in there as I add my implementation of protocol classes. GNU
> tools should be able to handle that, right? Endian-ness may be an
> issue because the data structures mimic yer actual Newton data which
> is big-endian.
GCC contains a ObjC compiler. Endianness should only be a problem if you
forgot about it. I believe there is a autotool macros which tests this,
so you #define your way around that.

> o the DIL framework uses Apple�s Bonjour and Bluetooth frameworks,
> but POSIX read/write for the MNP5 serial transport. Endian-ness
> shouldn�t be an issue, but I�ll find that out when I eventually get
> an intel-based Mac :)
>
> o the app itself uses the Cocoa AppKit to do its UI. I don�t think
> you could salvage much of the UI code (would GNUStep or similar do
> much in this area?), but code for the thread that handles the
> connection should be reusable.
I don't know GNUstep, but I guess the GUI is the lesser problem. I for
my part would be happy with a command line tool. You can always build
something on top of that, cf cdrecord.

Simon, do you plan to release NCK as open source, or do you only want to
  release the binaries?

Bye Jochen