Re: [NTLK] N800 GUI Shortcomings Article

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Fri Jan 26 2007 - 11:18:29 EST

On 1/24/2007 3:53 AM, Roman Pixell [GMail] wrote:
> On 24 jan 2007, at 02.39, Sean Luke wrote:
>
>> I posted a link to the following article of mine on maemo-developers,
>> the email list for developers of the Nokia 770 and Nokia N800
>> internet tablets, describing failures of the GUI from a Newton
>> developer's perspective. Thought it might be interesting to all.
>> The URL may change in the future.
>>
>> http://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/stuff/n800/
>
> sean,
>
> this was the best read so far this year. very very interesting and
> useful.
>

> vänliga hälsningar / warmest regards,
>
> / ®
>

> roman pixell, freelancer

Yes I agree. I think I will stick with my Newt thanks. I guess I will
just have to wait till some developer actually gets it "right". I agree
that there are advantages to the N800, but not where near enough for me
to want to buy one and use it. I know that a lot of people find that a
Newton is rather large, but for me I find it large enough to be useful.
 Most other so called PDA's have such tiny screens that you really can't
get any useful work done. Sure you can get a address or such but to
enter data decently it is a problem with a such a small screen. Not to
mention to try and read a book on it? Sheesh.

I do admit that there are things about the Newt I would like to have
fixed/enhanced. One is NIE, a more compatible browser and the ability
to use more cards etc that are available today. Other than that I
really don't have any grips about my Newt. Though I can still use all
the connection utilities and book making tools (even on a modern windows
machine, though I have not tried it with windows XP as I do not like
that version of the OS and avoid it when I can. I realize that many are
having a problem with this and if I did, there would be more of a "push"
to migrate to something else.

Oh well perhaps "someday" a company will actually come up with what I
want. But until then I haven't seen anything that I would take over my
Newt.

-Dan