Re: [NTLK] Still no lovin' from my phone

From: Steven Frank <stevenf_at_panic.com>
Date: Wed Jan 24 2007 - 20:14:10 EST

On Jan 24, 2007, at 6:17 AM, Zachery Bir wrote:

> So, some more diagnostics. Watching the script activity, I see the
> CONNECT show up, and then good old line noise

OK, so the "line noise" after the CONNECT is in fact PPP frames,
which is good. :)

If you're getting to that point, it means your Newton is receiving
PPP data from the phone. We can infer that your hardware
configuration is OK.

The next most likely thing to be failing is PPP authentication.

You're on T-Mobile, and we've already discussed that it doesn't
require a username or password. I would always get CONNECT, PPP
frames, then "could not start internet connection" or something
similar, until I put dummy values into the username and password
fields, but you have already done this.

Which APNs have you tried? internet3? internet2?

I would also replace ATD*99# with ATD*99***5# just to make sure it's
using the right CID.

I can't remember -- have you had success using this phone as a modem
for another device other than the Newton, such as a laptop?

Steven
http://panic.com/
http://stevenf.com/