Re: [NTLK] Pepper Pad handwriting recognition (was Kallisys' Newton Eistein Project)

From: Karel Jansens <karel.jansens_at_scarlet.be>
Date: Wed Jan 24 2007 - 16:59:32 EST

knowtree@aloha.com schreef:
> Victor Rehorst <victor@newtontalk.net> wrote:
>
>>Sam Jacobson wrote:
>>
>>>Hello!
>

>>>Has anyone been able to get [Kallisys' Newton Eistein] to work yet?
>

>>I've run the latest version on my Pepper Pad 2.
>

> I'm curious, what is the handwriting system like on the Pepper Pad? I
> looked at their site and see a lot of buttons along the sides. Is that a
> QWERTY layout? I did not see anything regarding handwriting recognition,
> and suspect that the stylus is just a pointing device, same as a mouse.

There is no HWR on the Pepper. Text entry is exclusively through keyboards.

> The reason I ask is because several years ago I started up a project called
> Open Slate, which never got very far, and my first big stumbling block was
> the lack of a usable open-source handwriting recognition project.
>
> I also chose a side-mounted keyboard, only the Open Slate keyboard would
> use a chording system, with something like four buttons on the bottom for
> fingers and one on top for the thumb. Mirrored on each side, with
> alternatives for one-handed use.
>
> I am thinking about revisiting this project, mostly due to the better
> availability of miniature motherboards, hard drives, and flash memory. I am
> watching the One Laptop Per Child program, but their goal is different than
> mine.

I think, if you can find whoever is in charge of Xstroke these days,
there might be a possibility of some HWR talent in the vicinity. Back in
the days when I still received messages from their mailing list, there
was someone who was looking to include his own HWR algorythms into
Xstroke. In the form I knew it, Xstroke was little more than Yet Another
Graffiti2 Clone, but this person, Dr Limburg IIRC, claimed to have
working algorythms for Linux-based cursive HWR and, even more
incredible, wanted to GPL them.

Karel Jansens