[NTLK] Mail V Ate My Newton

From: R A Parker <Quadzillanet_at_Newted.ORG>
Date: Tue Jan 23 2007 - 21:59:00 EST

Yeah, I know, the subject is a little tabloid like, but it's true. It all
started a couple weeks ago when I discovered that I kept moving stuff off
my main 28MB flash card on to a spare 16MB card that I carry around. I just
chalked it up to all the new stuff I was had loaded onto my Newton since
upgrading to a wireless MP2100. You know, wifi drivers, NIE, Newt's Cape
(worth every penny of the registration fee...BTW), Mad Max (since,
deleted-never could get it to work), etc.

Well, to make a long story only slightly shorter, this last couple of weeks
Mail V has been really slow and unstable. I was down to less than 500K free
on both the internal store and my 28MB card. I started looking for more
stuff to move and/or delete and the numbers just weren't adding up. I only
had about 2MB of apps and other things on that card. So, I get this sneaky
feeling something isn't cleaning up very well.

Full backup, brain wipe erase/reset and restore.

Before I erased my 28MB card, it was essentially empty (all packages and
data deleted). It had 4MB available. Now, after a full erase and all my
packages restored, 22MB free. Hmmm...

Looking closer, I found that every time I sync my two mail accounts
(download headers only), then delete all the messages (without downloading
any messages), my Newton loses about 5K worth of storage space.

Rebuilt Mailboxes 22247K <-
Sync Messages (2) 22245K
Sync Messages (14) 22226K
Select All/Delete 22242K <-
Rebuilt Mailboxes
Sync Messages (2)
Sync Messages (14) 22227K
Select All/Delete 22237K <-
Rebuilt Mailboxes
Sync Messages (3)
Sync Messages (16) 22222K
Select All/Delete 22232K <-

That's not good. A brain wipe every 3-6 months? Anybody else see this?

Ron

--
Sent with Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM