Re: [NTLK] NCX: problems connecting via Ethernet

From: Riccardo Mori <rick_at_poc.it>
Date: Mon Jan 22 2007 - 20:27:57 EST

quoth Woody Smith:

> A couple of thoughts
>
> After installing new extensions it is a good idea to reset the
> newton .

Oh, I restarted it more than once.

> Did you use Internet Setup to create a new setup for your card?

Yes.

> Is it currently selected for your current 'worksite'?

Yes.

> It seems that those that have ethernet routers have better success
> with automatic settings than those with direct connection.
> Those with direct connection seem to do better with manual setup.
>
> Good luck

Still no luck, I'm afraid. I tried creating another Internet Setup,
specifying manual settings for the connection. I tried going back to
DHCP. I tried sharing the Internet connection my TiBook receives from
the AirPort home network, renew the DHCP lease, retry the ethernet
connection with the Newton. I tried with or without AppleTalk on the
Network setup both in the Newton and in the TiBook. So far, nada. But
I'm awfully busy these days and I'll retry in a later moment. I'm
sure I'm doing something wrong somewhere or missing something,
because if other people have used NCX with Ethernet successfully,
surely there's some mistake from my part.

Side note: it's quite disappointing downloading the NTLK postings,
seeing many email with "NCX: problems connecting via Ethernet" and
realising that now the discussion has quickly moved somewhere else,
debating serial vs ethernet connections. It's interesting, but not
quite helping as regards to my problem.

Instead, thank you Woody for your in-topic input :)

Cheers,
Rick