Re: [NTLK] NCX: problems connecting via Ethernet

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Sat Jan 20 2007 - 03:01:42 EST

On Jan 19, 2007, at 4:49 PM, James Wages wrote:

> Rick,
>
> Speed is the only benefit of Ethernet over serial. Serial has the
> advantage
> in every other area: no need for special drivers, no need for special
> hardware since serial is built in (except for maybe a Keyspan
> adapter for
> newer Macs), no software tweaks to get the Mac to see the Newton,
> etc. I
> have an Ethernet card but choose to use slower serial because
> serial ALWAYS
> WORKS 100% of the time.
Ethernet works perfectly also. I have been using it for years
without ever seeing a glitch. I don't know why you are talking up
serial so much, I don't see it as being such a boon when you
consider the added cost and drivers needed to get a USB to serial
adapter going.
> And now that Simon's wonderful NCX is out, except
> for a -600 error here and there, I can connect to my G4 Cube inside
> OS X via
> my Keyspan adapter (which is always attached to my serial cable,
> making
> connections as easy/seamless as they were on my SE/30.)
>
> Hence, I still feel that NCX would be bettered by 230kbps
> throughput in its
> serial connection speed. While that speed is still slower than
> Ethernet,
> it's much, MUCH faster than the 38400bps speed that NCX currently
> operates
> at (which is slower than my patched NCU that works at 57600bps
> under OS 9).
> I therefore would like to implore Simon to kindly consider adding a
> much
> needed speed boost to serial connectivity in NCX.
>
> (And please, folks, spare us the talk about how you can 'live without
> serial' because you know full well we all would benefit from a
> speed boast
> here, even if you personally would only use it rarely.)

No, I don't use it at all. I haven't used it in years. Also serial
is fast enough as is for loading ethernet drivers and/or bluetooth.

Marty