[NTLK] My Nokia N800

From: Sean <sean_at_cs.gmu.edu>
Date: Mon Jan 16 2006 - 01:10:10 EST

Well, I broke down and bought a new PDA. A Nokia N800 Internet Tablet. I grew frustrated with the lack of easily programmable, hackable PDAs which also might run Einstein. The Zauri are no longer sold in the US, the Palm TX and Lifedrive still don't run Linux (and PalmOS5 is crude indeed), and heaven help me if I get a Winpad. What is a Newtoneer to do?

The N800 is a much faster, more refined replacement for the 770. It's a linux box underneath, with a passable zooming UI developed by Nokia and fully open source and crummy HWR. Wifi, bluetooth, with lots of internet facilities: crummy camera, full featured Opera web browser, PDF reader, flash player, media player, mail, IM, VOIP, etc. PIM packages downloadable, as are good VNC, terminals, etc. Nokia did a very good job, though I would like a keyboard, as I am typing this message on it right now. Oh, and an 800 by 480 nonrotateable screen that is half the size of my MP2100. Fits in my pocket, but the text can get microscopic! Thank goodness for the well thought out zoom feature.

Time will tell, but if Paul can help me get Einstin running on this beast, I think it's the first PDA I would recommend to the list as a Newt replacement. $400 at CompUSA in DC.

Language report: Python and ruby and scheme run, as does squeak more or less, but not Java yet. JamVM working, but windows still flakey, I'm told. I'll have to look into that!

Sean, on his N800...