Re: [NTLK] The day the Newton died it's final death...

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Jan 13 2007 - 16:43:19 EST

~~~ On 2007/01/11 18:11, Sonny Hung at sonnyhung@gmail.com wrote ~~~

> On 1/11/07, Martin Joseph <NT@stillnewt.org> wrote:
>>
>> Tiger runs fine on these systems, but will not install, is it needs a
>> DVD drive and checks the system first. If you pre install Tiger onto
>> a drive in a supported system, and then swap the drive into the
>> imac, it will boot right up and run ok too.
>>
>> I recommend 384M of RAM as a bare minimum though, with 640 being a
>> better place.
>
> Hey Marty,
>
> Thanks for the tip here.
> Now all I need to know is if it will play nice with the Wallstreet in this
> same manner.
> I doubt it since it's got not USB or FireWire, unless I were to grab USB or
> FireWire PC Card that was Mac Compatible...
>
> I've got an Laptop to Desktop HD adapter so I would give this a try just for
> the heck of it... Here's hoping I get it running later with OSX 10.2.8 or
> 10.3.x or 10.4.x - who knows... anyone crazy enough to have tried this on a
> Wallstreet yet?

Sonny,

You probably already know about this, but in case somehow you don't, try

http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/Framework.cfm?page=XPostFacto
3.html

...and the associated application XPostFacto, of course.

My friend has also mentioned that sometimes you can do this kind of legacy
installation without XPF just by editing one of the files in the
installation disk or disk image. You either edit the image or make an image
from the installation DVD and edit that. (I guess you have to have access
to a more modern Mac to work with the DVD.)

Apparently there's a file with the installer that lists which Macs
"shouldn't" be given OS X. He says it can be edited in TextEdit; you just
delete the name of your model and replace the "official" file with your
edtied version. This technique is how he put Tiger on his Lombard.

So that's two possible solutions to your question. FWIW.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a NewtonPad.˛
            -- What Arthur C. Clarke meant to say

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/