Re: [NTLK] The day the Newton died it's final death...

From: James Grubic <jgrubic_at_bozeman.k12.mt.us>
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 11:18:00 EST

Martin, is this stock hardware? There's no way that a stock Mac from
1995 would run Tiger acceptably. This is PowerMac 7200/7500/7600
territory. You may have a G3 upgrade for a machine in this category, but
that counts as upgrading your hardware as I stated. Make the similar
upgrades to a Pentium PC, and it will run XP.

Beige G3 PowerMacs were sold from 1997 to 1999. For a while I ran OSX
10.2 and 10.3 on machines in this class, but not acceptably until I put
in a faster G3 processor and added a PCI ATA controller. Also, more than
256MB of RAM.

Any G3 at 500MHz will run OSX fine, presuming you have 256MB+ of memory
installed. OSX at any speed isn't fun at all with 128MB or less memory.
It can be done, but just not comparable to OS9 speeds.

James