Re: [NTLK] The day the Newton died it's final death...

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 15:58:13 EST

~~~ On 2007/01/10 14:19, Riccardo Mori at rick@poc.it wrote ~~~

> To those who are "unimpressed" by the iPhone: consider its interface.
> It's one of the most intuitive things I've seen so far. It out-iPods
> the iPod. It does many more things than an iPod _and_ a smartphone,
> with a _simpler_ interface. If this isn't groundbreaking, I don't
> know what is.
>
> To those who consider the iPhone "just a fancy cellphone": have you
> read its tech specs, and have you seen the demos of _all_ its
> features and, moreover, the interconnection of such features. I was
> amazed at how seamlessly you can browse photos, select one, crop it,
> adjust it, set it as a wallpaper, and send it via email to one of
> your contacts. How many clicks and menus would it take on a smart
> (LOL!)-phone?
>
> To those who consider the iPhone "pricey": so far, to me, it appears
> to be the same story as when the first iPod was introduced in October
> 2001. It was a $399 MP3 player. A lot of people said: "who needs such
> an expensive MP3 player?". How many iPods has Apple sold up to now?
>
> The iPhone has been introduced, it's still not definitive. But it's
> safe to assume that it's going to be an incredibly versatile device:
> upgradable and greatly customisable. It doesn't recognise my
> handwriting? Oh well. Thank God it doesn't have that idiotic
> toothpick other cellphone companies call "stlyus" to tentatively
> scribble something on those tiny cellphone screens. Or, who knows,
> maybe in a future incarnation one will be able to simply write on it
> with the tip of a finger...
>
> Cheers,
> Rick

Dear Rick,

These are the kind of things that beguiled me when I first saw it. The
trouble is that when I looked for the things that I need, rather than the
things that I'd just have fun with in between using the things I need, it
was a bit like having a cell phone that had great games but no tri- or
quad-band. For example, seamless and easy customizing of wallpaper? On a
phone? Nice touch, but on a scale of 1-10 of usefulness, that gets a yawn.

To me, this thing screams "eye-candy", but punctuated with some things I
wish were more hard-core. But it has a lot of promise that it hasn't
delivered yet, and that's the part I'm looking for.

Come on, Steve, give us something more than an electronic theme park in a
phone!

Shalom.
Christian

NewtonPad: the computer of tomorrow ‹ yesterday.

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/

Refresh yourself from our MUG: http://www.oxmug.org/