Re: [NTLK] WEP

From: Steve Hammond <stevehammond_at_globetrotter.net>
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 09:26:22 EST

> Would we all not be better served with the implementation of
> something like
> SSH or GnuPG on a Newton OS platform? This way emailed
> transmissions from a
> wireless device could be secure, and SSH could be used to tunnel to
> a remote
> server which could then be commandeered for secure web surfing.
When talking about Wi-fi security, the next step, belong WEP, is WPA
and WPA2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access). Most
wifi access point now support both.

And I agree with your point that WEP is almost useless. All my access
point are protected by WPA2. So when I use my Newton wirelessly, it
is in ad-hoc mode.

I must admit, I did not follow the thread on the WEP crack, except
the first few messages, because it is too political :) It's too easy
to get our feeling makes us say things that are good to obtain our goal!

So, that said, I've been thinking:

In a message a posted a few month ago concerning Adriano's project to
assemble a team of Newton developers to create a more up-to-date NIE
version. Could this really be the solution?

I mean, if NIE is update, maybe we can thing that a wireless driver
would also be included or updates in the process and then the Newton
will gain life again?

It is just my 2 cents on this, it may not worth more than 2 cents so
far!