Re: [NTLK] FW: Fwd: Hacked WiFi driver

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 13:09:25 EST

~~~ On 2007/01/07 17:01, Niklas Nisbeth at noisetonepause@gmail.com wrote
~~~

> Harh! You seem like an informed person, I'm sure you know that's not
> what I mean...

Out of curiosity, why don't you mean that? You mean, you *do* believe in
private property -- when it "belongs" to you? Just not in other people's
private property? Interesting.

BTW, I wouldn't have been as greedy as Dale; I was just going to ask for
your 2100. I was even going to offer to pay the postage. :)

> I suppose I meant to say 'intellectual property rights', though. But
> lets end this discussion here. I am convinced that there are
> fundamental flaws in our economy and the way we organise our societies
> and business relations, especially when it comes to computer software.
> You might not be. There's not much to say other than that, is there?

Ah! *Intellectual* property rights. So it's okay to own things you buy, but
not the things you produce with your own mind. I'm sure you don't mean that
-- at least not always.

Perhaps what needs to be said is that if followed, your suggestion is little
better than a kind of saboutaging the existing economic system. Some of us,
even if we see flaws in the system (or think we do at times) would rather
change things by democratic process. Changing the consensus and taking the
majority with us, rather than bullying it into conformity with us, in a
manner of speaking.

A different way to look at intellectual property rights is to say that our
intellectual property is closer to our minds, our selves, than something
like a computer or the clothes we drive. If we have no right to control the
product of our own minds, what are we?

I'd say this applies especially in this case, where the property in question
is not in the hands of some "faceless multi-national company" (a favourite
strawman in the "property is theft" argument), but in the hands of the
individual who originally created said property.

Shalom.
Christian

NewtonPad: the computer of tomorrow ‹ yesterday.

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/

Refresh yourself from our MUG: http://www.oxmug.org/