Re: [NTLK] Newton to help find impact craters?

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 02:22:01 EST

I read an article a few months back where a bus in Tokyo crashed because someone was using an illegal CB radio. The CB created a harmonic that interfered with the "drive by wire" the bus used and the brakes wouldn't actuate when the driver gave the signal through the pedal. Needless to say, the illegal cb radio user was arrested and Toyota redesigned the bus to use fiber optics instead of wires.
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
Norman Palardy <npalardy@great-white-software.com> wrote:

On Jan 06, 2007, at 11:32 AM, PaulMmn wrote:

> But why? Becaue 'the airline says so?'

Because the airline and and FAA say so and it's probably a criminal
offense to not do so

> As I understand it, a GPS device is a =receiver=, not a
> =transmitter=. Unless the computers in
> the units put out enough noise to affect the avionics... Of course,
> a normal laptop computer would be as noisy.

They do ask you to turn all devices that can send or receive signals off
So that includes a wireless laptop connection as well
I can't imagine that just the electronics would affect the avionics
You'd think there would be too much interference from the electrical
systems in the plane itself if that were a problem

Don't You Love Mistyping URL's....