Re: [NTLK] OT Mail 2.1.1 and Yahoo.com

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Fri Jan 05 2007 - 13:51:00 EST

On Jan 5, 2007, at 10:32 AM, Roman Pixell [GMail] wrote:

> On 5 jan 2007, at 19.17, jg wrote:
>
>> To whom it may concern. Mail 2.1.1 - Since a month I had problem with
>> smtp at Yahoo.com. Mail asked me million times for my keywords.
>> Nothing really helped. So I decided to change settings at Mail. I
>> found at one of the forums that I have to cancel the accounts and
>> start from the begining.
Bad advice, see below.
>> And I cancelled one of my accounts at the
>> Inbox list. I did not expect that the mailboxes will be cancelled,
>> not only this, the other account mailbox, also at yahoo.com, was
>> cancelled, not only this, all emails at yahoo.com servers were
>> cancelled.
They where not on the servers. They are on your local system. Mail
doesn't cancel your yahoo account if that's what you are suggesting?
>> And just now I am a new born baby.
Congratulations!
>> No emails at all.
>> Congratulations for Apple engineers. (Mail cannot manage multiple
>> accounts at the same server)
>
> very sad to hear - happened to me a couple of years back.
>
> mail sux. bigtimes.
>
> there is no real warning when youre deleting accounts that all the
> mail will disappear too. if your backing up before removing accounts,
> make d*mn shure to back up all folders, including SENT and DRAFTS.

Actually it doesn't suck and it has no problem managing multiple
accounts on the same server(I have 7). Also in my experience it does
not delete the mail when you remove accounts.

There was no reason to delete the account to begin with, as password
problems as you described are usually attributable to keychain
issues. Using the keychain access utility (Applications/Utilities)
you should just delete the smtp keychains and the next time Mail
starts it will recreate them.

Try looking in your Users/yourusername/Library/Mail folder, you
should see the mail from the deleted accounts there. You can drag
and drop the folder with your old mail back over the the Mail.app
window and hopefully you can see your missing mail again.

Hope this helps,
Marty