Re: [NTLK] Wavelan Silver Turbo

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Tue Dec 04 2007 - 09:11:14 EST

On Dec 4, 2007 8:13 AM, Greg Hankins <ghankins@mac.com> wrote:

> Hi All.
> Anyone using the Lucent Wavelan Turbo Silver (as opposed to just
> plain old silver) successfully. I see on Hirochi's page that it has
> been reported to have worked, though there's no info on WEP.

The Lucent WaveLAN Turbo Silver only supports 40/64-bit WEP, not the
104/128-bit WEP which is usually used. Unfortunately, you'll likely
only be able to connect to unencrypted networks unless you
specifically configure your own network for 40/64-bit WEP.

> I'm a bit confused about Hirochi's drivers: the page mentions some
> additional features in the registered version, but also notes that
> registration is closed. Does the version downloadable from his page
> in fact include the features that once required registration?

I believe that the regular download still requires registration after
30-days to keep using the full functionality. Fortunately, he recently
released the source code at
<http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/data/NewtonWaveLAN_source.zip> which
contains a compiled version of his WaveLAN drivers with the
registration stripped out. So try using that one instead (although
technically you should get the full functionality for the first
30-days anyway).

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com