Re: [NTLK] Help with ATA Driver

From: Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG_at_aafes.com>
Date: Fri Aug 24 2007 - 08:55:18 EDT

        You can't register that anymore? That sucks.. I really wanted
to see what would become of this.

        Well, as someone that registered it, it was pretty useful. The
reason I stopped using Newtons in general was the amount of time to
transfer files INTO a Newton.

        So I had a one mb card as well, and it worked quite well. Not
as reliable as linear, but still it worked. I had MP3's that I had
bothered to spend FIFTEEN MINUTES a piece transferring into the Newton.
This was at Appletalk/Ethernet speeds.

      So after a while you learn that the Newton CAN play 160 bit
encoded MP3's, for the first minute. You are better off with a MP3 at
like 64 bit. You also learn the Newton has mono sound...

.... oh wait, I forgot the best part. I worked on downloading a
sizeable library into the Newton and even bothered to create categories.
I mean how cool would it be to have a Newton chalked with games, demoes,
mod and MP3 music, and so forth.

     You learn quick that:

     1) The more you add, the longer it takes for the Newton to open a
directory. Add too much, and Newton could just about hang or crash.
     2) mod music files have to be tapped and uncompressed every time
you try to use them from ATA storage. It was strange.
     3) MP3's are accessed a bit differently, so really, megs and megs
of space are best used for MP3's.

     Now there are two things to keep in mind. If your Newton store
exceeds 256 mb, file uploaders from desktops have a hard time seeing it.
In my case the Newton Connection Utility saw no space. Or would see it
was 1024 mb and then say there was no space to upload to.

     The other thing is, the Newton would hang on occasion. Not
shutting down properly can corrupt a "partition". Sometimes, if you
are aren't lucky, the partition is damaged, leaving you to wipe to the
whole card and upload the information again.

     For a while I backed up the ATA card onto many linear flash cards.
It is quicker to receive from a linear card than to receive from
desktop.

     Then after a while I just started using linear flash cards again.

     I was a bit disappointed that the Newton could not hold more than
32 mb of linear storage for MP3's. So I carried a MP3 player and a
Newton. Then I took a dare to use only an Atari 800 for a month, which
I did and won. When I came back, I wondered why I really needed a
Newton or any handheld computer. Then Einstein came out, showing the
Newton emulated on the Zaurus. After that I found a device that I could
load a gig of songs onto a card in thirty minutes, and really liked
that.

     So my tale is show you the overal result of the ATA drivers. I
LOVE the Newton. I've used it solely as a desktop for a while (like
that Atari 800 dare) for a month. Fun stuff. You can find my Newton
vidoes on YouTube where I demonstrate how it displays color (using the
EZ2VGA card) and various media. Above all the Newton is a platform of
beta drivers, what if's, demonstrations, and great programmers that seem
to get bored before bringing things to full completition. They like to
tinker, I can't fault that. And Paul Guyot did a fine job to prove that
the Newton could in fact work with ATA storage. It was fun, even
useful, and in the end, frustrating. But I knew it was that way when I
started, so ultimately I have to say, it was fun!

        Sorry you can't register it to tinker with it yourself,
hopefully this gives you an idea of what to expect if you ever get that
chance.

        Doc Clu