Re: [NTLK] Battery Weirdness

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Thu Aug 16 2007 - 09:58:09 EDT

On 8/16/2007 5:28 AM, Aaron Brigati wrote:
> On Aug 16, 2007, at 5:03 AM, Dave Bellamy wrote:
>
>> I looked at the cage and
>> noticed that the batteries are not a very good fit. There is definite
>> movement within the tray and they can actually move so far as to not
>> be touching one another.
>>
>> Now the question is, is it my cage that is somehow at fault, the
>> batteries themselves are slight too small or is this something normal
>> and that once inserted they fit correctly.
>
> I just wanted to say that this is how my 2900 mAh AAs are in the
> battery cage, and they seem to work fine. One end of the battery cage
> is open; I suspect there's something inside the Newton that presses
> through there and tightens the fit.
>
> My Newton also only registers the 2900 mAh cells at 80% when they're
> full. I suspect that's because they're 1.2 volts each, instead of the
> 1.5 volts of the alkalines it's expecting.

First, it could be your cage (if the spring is weak for example), but it
sounds more likely that the batteries are slightly smaller than normal.
 This is possible as I have seen rechargeable slightly too big or to
small. They can't do any damage by using them. If they loose contact
the Newt will just shut down. They can't "spike" and harm it in any way.

As for registering 80%. Yes that is because it is expecting alkalines.
 When you insert a rechargeable pack the Newt detects this due to the
contacts on the bottom of the pack. But there is a package that will
allow you to change the battery type and allow the battery meter to be
calibrated properly. Nicks Soft Charge is the package you want.

http://www.unna.org/view.php?/utilites/system_enhancements/SoftCharge

-Dan