Re: [NTLK] An Idea Regarding the Bootstrap

From: Joshua Cearley <joshua.cearley_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 14 2007 - 14:23:20 EDT

> There is a memory card rental system for bootstrapping your Newton,
> using a PCMCIA card. Once you have the card though, it should not be
> an issue at all to duplicate it into another PCMCIA of the same size.
> Linux offers commands for reading from and writing directly to raw
> devices regardless of file formats.

Actually, there is a version of the DD command for windows that can do
binary reads and writes to hard drives and disks. Theoretically
someone could install the drivers on to the memory card and then do a
dump of the memory card (if anyone would like to do this, it would
help quite a lot for people that know how to use the dump).

I'm not quite sure if the DD command for windows can work on something
that windows doesn't understand (I'm assuming it doesn't understand
the newton formatted card) but it would work for linux or mac users
with PCMCIA card readers (possibly using some kind of adapter?)

Then again, if you don't happen to have a computer with PCMCIA slots
it may be cheaper to build or buy a sync cable (though the memory card
dump procedure might be less of a hassle since it wouldn't require the
use of slowdowns).

Hmm...