[NTLK] An Idea Regarding the Bootstrap

From: Joshua Cearley <joshua.cearley_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 14 2007 - 04:53:15 EDT

I just thought of an interesting idea for getting data on to a Newton.
I was thinking something along the lines of perhaps getting
OpenEinstein to function with some kind of infrared? (Some laptops
still have IR, and IR dongles should be cheap nowadays). The theory is
that you can load notes/etc directly on to NewtonOS through
OpenEinstein, and then have OpenEinstein "send" the data through IR.
I'm not quite sure what all would be involved in doing so, but it
would be an interesting step to bootstrapping. The other thing I've
been wondering about is if there is a way to perhaps read a Newt on
memory card from a computer? I haven't tried it yet since my laptop
with the PCMCIA slot has BSD installed on it right now, but that could
also be an interesting idea for some people to bootstrap with.

I swear there was one of the PCMCIA cards for the newton that had the
drivers on the card itself, I just can't remember the name of it (or I
may have misread it entirely). Just some ideas out there. OpenEinstein
would still need a ROM, but if it could transmit IR it *might* be
possible to write a mini-rom that was good enough to run an IR
transmission? Might be easier to skip OE and do it directly though.

-JC