Re: [NTLK] MP / Palm TX

From: Scott Rogers <srogers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Aug 13 2007 - 22:20:23 EDT

Steven,

Yup. We're in the same boat and we've been down many of the same, um,
roads. In our respective boats.

*ahem*

My issue is that, the more I think about it, the less I actually
*want* a laptop. 95% of the time, all I need a portable for is to
check email, IM, and browse the web. But 5% of the time, I need to
write, run photoshop, run OO3, yell at my IT department because out of
3 FTP clients, Transmit is the only one that will connect to my server
(heh).

If my iPaq were a little more dependable (e.g. if the stupid alarm
clock wouldn't crash the machine! If Textmaker would open files
properly!), I could make do with it. But the screen is also too
small—and the size is what keeps me coming back to the Newt. But the
Newt is just too friggin' long in the tooth. It can't grab my email,
either from work or from gmail because it doesn't have enough memory.
Web surfing is laughable.

But for writing, I trust it more than I do my iPaq, PocketWord and
Textmaker; since no PDA really handles footnotes/endnotes without
mucking them up, I just work around them.

I'm looking *hard* at the UMPCs. HARD. As much as I want a Mac
portable, Apple just doesn't make anything like what I'm looking for.
But the battery life on them sucks and they're too expensive.

Maybe we should start a support group?

Cheers