[NTLK] Onlineity at last. / "Newt-on-Shtick", anybody? (Was: Re: [OT] PowerBook G4 or MacBook Pro? TPM? Huh?!)

From: DJ Vollkasko <dj_vollkasko_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon Aug 13 2007 - 16:29:18 EDT

Dear Newtonia,

it is done. I've finally achieved to reestablish personal onlineity. ;=)
Thanks to Eckhart, William, Thomas http://marc.info/?
t=118492444400005&r=1&w=2 and the folks who gave me good pointers bc.
        I've settled on a brandnew-looking PowerBook G4 12'' 1,5 GHz 1,25 GB
with over a year left on AppleCare (!), as this machine will (a)
allow me to run current apps fast, (b) get still more miles out of my
MacOS software investments, (c) run the original Newton companion
apps for the desktop, and (d) have a very compact, robust device
which will give me good service on the road even when it has been
technically obsoleted by whatever I'll be using in three to five
years time at the Vollkasko-Mansion.
        As for now, I'm still setting it up, getting it to talk to other
stuff, restore my data, etc., but I'm really excited about the
possiblities--from live-recording our radio show in the studio to
several writing jobs queueing already, to even bigger things... Maybe
something might even bring in some small change, besides the fun and
work. Looks like this old hand's gonna dust of the ole Peacemaker,
get back in writing shape and write into the sunset with the old
posse of rough writers.

Anyway, now I'm looking at some things and some apps I need to
complete my rig, and stumbled across this: "Creating a Mac-on-Stick
using Mini vMac" http://www.nothickmanuals.info/doku.php/minivmac

Hmh.

Hmh hmh.

Say...

Uh, yes...

How about "Creating Newt-on-Shtick using OpenEinstein"???

Huh--Wishlist Alert! ;=)

With Einstein for buncha different OS (hey, they even have
"Weinstein" flavor now! ;=} ), wouldn't it be fun to have a bundled
distro with the different Einstein releases and a Newton presence?
All portable, so they run completely off a USB-stick without leaving
any files and entries anywhere on the host system...
You could run a Newton off any Mac, Linux or Windows box you run into
and have your Newton with you whereever you can find any hardware at
all... You could also "install" Einstein then very easily on any
supported system by plugging in and just copying the correct two
folders to your desktop box. Could even have an OS like a slim Ubuntu
live system (PPC & Intel), so you could even boot into Linux to run
Einstein.

What do you think of this? Any takers?

DJV.

P.S.: Talking PowerBook--I'm looking for a USB-hub to suit my new
machine.
Do you know of any nice, robust USB-hub styled to suit the PowerBook?
I've looked at some, but most look flimsy and crappy, or right ugly,
or have odd shapes, or are white (which will stain and scratch easy--
would go nice with iBooks/MacBooks or Mac mini, tho). I love well-
built gear with great features (maybe Firewire, too? Or PC-Card?),
good performance, robust make *and* good looks (which means, it won't
be embarrassed next to my PowerBook and the Apple alu keyboard I'll
get myself), and the stamina to last quite a while. (Much like my
Newton...)

Do you know of any USB-hub that might satisfy my wishes? Pls. let me
know bc.