Re: [NTLK] OT Are we stupid?

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat Aug 11 2007 - 15:01:03 EDT

On 8/11/07, Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog@gmail.com> wrote:
> All in all, the ease of e-mail can be a very mixed blessing.

In other words. the real question is not whether technology is ready
for us. but whether we are readz for technology. :-)

and that is a question that needs considering when we approach
technology, I think. You see, the human condition doesn't change, and
technology doesn't change the human condition. I like what Steve Jobs
said:
"Jobs doesn't believe that technology is going to change the world.
"This stuff doesn't change the world. It really doesn't ...
Technologies can make it easier, can let us touch people we might not
otherwise. But it's a disservice to constantly put things in a radical
new light - that it's going to change everything. Things don't have to
change the world to be important." (I wish I could remember where I
snagged that clipping, but it speaks a lot!)

The same maturity that is required to carry on human relationships
face-to-face is required when carried on via technology. Just because
it's easier to hit the "send" button than a phone (also tech, btw) or
visit face to face, doesn't mean we should. We are still emotional
beings, and in truth, the more things change, the more they stay the
same. :-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland