Re: [NTLK] Help with WLAN

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Sat Aug 04 2007 - 12:49:23 EDT

On Aug 4, 2007, at 1:54 AM, Andy Hill wrote:
> <snip>
> I'm having some difficulty connecting my MP2000 using a Lucent Wavelan
> Silver Turbo to our wireless router.
> I've read plenty of the archive but not seen my particular problem.All
> the right packages are installed, the card is recognised and I
> believed
> configured, but probably not correctly. I don't get anywhere with an
> internet set up configuration based on 'DHCP' but get quite far
> choosing
> 'manual'. For example using Nethopper, it goes through: loading
> ethernet
> drivers, engaging ethernet drivers, connecting, looking up address.
> But that's as far as it goes at which point I get a message saying:
> 'No
> response from your current DNS Server, check your internet
> connection or
> contact your service administrator'.
>
> The settings I have in internet connection are:
> Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
> Local IP Address: (see below I have a question on this)
> Gateway/Router Address: 62.25.195.95
> Primary DNS/Name Server: 195.92.195.95
>
> What should I be using for the Local IP Address? In the current
> configuration settings on our windows machine there are various
> addresses to choose from:
Usually if you have a router on the lan, you want the same subnet
and a unique address. For example:

If your router is:
10.0.1.1
Then the clients connected to it will have the same three high order
octets (ie 10.0.1) which will be followed by a unique number between
1 and 255. So your client address should be:

10.0.1.2 or 10.0.1.253 or whatever. If you see that the windows box
seems to get an address in a particular range, try avoiding that with
your manually configured clients.

> Access point IP
> LAN IP address
This is probably the address of the windows box, don't use it, use
a unique address.
> Broadcast LAN IP Address
> DHCP start
> DHCP end address
> WAN IP Address (the numbers are the same as the Access Point IP)
The address of the access point is also your gateway address.

> I have tried them all but it makes no difference?
>
> In terms of settings on the actual card:
>
> Use for Apple talk (this is ticked)
> Mode: Infrastructure
> Channel 1(ignored)
> SSID: (I don't know how to find this?)
If you don't have the EXACT SSID properly entered the driver will
never work. The SSID is the string that the wireless router
broadcasts for other devices to see. If you look from your windows
box, you should be able to see this.
> WEP Key: taken from base of router
The base? This sounds wrong.
> Use WEP: ticked
> I've chosen hexadeciminal as the WEP key is 26 characters long, and
> if I
> attempt to use 'string' mode is says 'string too long'.
That sounds wrong also. The Silver card is capable if 40 bit WEP
only, so the hex key shouldn't be so long.

I suggest turning off wep on the router for troubleshooting and then
when you have that running smoothly, you can try it again.

> I am using an Orange Livebox modem/router. This is connected to a
> windows machine via ethernet cable and also a g3 powerbook via airport
> card.
>
> Last question, when setting up the connection via windows box and
> powerbook I had to press a button on the router to allow pairing after
> which point I had to tap in the WEP key. Is there a requirement to do
> any pairing between the router and Newt?
This is a mystery. You need to check the documentation for you
wireless router as this isn't standard. Sounds like the Linksys one
touch security thing which is easily by passed by proper
configuration from the routers web page.

Good Luck,
Marty