Re: [NTLK] Italics in Works?

From: Grant Hutchinson <grant_at_splorp.com>
Date: Fri Aug 03 2007 - 03:23:52 EDT

On 2-Aug-07, at 4:15 PM, Scott Rogers wrote:

> When I export an .RTF from Works, any italics or underlining are
> stripped (both in Word 2004 and Nisus Writer Pro). Oddly, depending
> upon what font I set the Works document in, bold is retained.

Out of curiousity, what typeface are you using in the original Works
document?

Most of the Newton fonts were designed to match against the metrics
of existing PostScript outline fonts found in laser printers as well
as on the desktop. However, the Newton faux-bolds and faux-italicizes
fonts. This would explain why there are not mapping to the equivalent
styles on your desktop.

Sean Luke produced a set of custom Newton bitmap fonts which map more
accurately to existing PostScript printer fonts. There are other
issues and problems documented on his site:

http://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/projects/newton/Fonts/

g.