Re: [NTLK] I am looking for additional storage

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Wed Apr 25 2007 - 19:00:31 EDT

On 4/25/2007 4:33 PM, Gary Dunn wrote:
> I am looking for additional storage and have a few questions
> Is there a favorite ATA driver?
> Can I use a Toshiba 2 GB PCMCIA card with, say, the Kallisys ATA driver? Does it appear the same as a linear flash card?
> I see a lot of PCMCIA to Compact Flash adaptors on eBay. Do these work? All / some / a few?
> Thanks in advance.

It is not a matter of favorite drivers...there is only ONE ATA driver
the Kallisys ATA driver. And yes it appears the same as a linear card,
although you are able to "partition" a card into smaller sections to
save heap (the larger your card, the more heap it will take to just keep
track of the storage even if you don't have any packages activated
(thawed). It is also handy if you wanted to create say one for books,
another for data etc. You can mount (activate) several of these
partitions at once if you like as well. As for what cards work, I can't
answer that. There is a page on the Kallisys site with cards that are
known to work. Some do, some don't. If it is not on the list then the
only way you will know is to try it.

Again I can't say if the Toshiba 2 gig card you mentioned will work or
not, but one thing is for certain you will need to partition that card a
quite bit. I wouldn't go beyond 20mb in size for each partition. YOu
can make them bigger but I just don't see any reason to. Also the
larger the partition the longer it takes to backup. Also the driver may
even have a limit on how big you can make a partition, I don't recall
off hand though.

-Dan