Re: [NTLK] Palm LifeDrive

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 14:26:51 EDT

From a Pen Computing article from 1998 (http://www.pencomputing.com/Newton/AppleKillsNewton(PCM22).html)

  "Apple makes computers, and computers have keyboards"
This supposedly is a quote from Steve Jobs during a Newton Inc re-absorption meeting attended by an acquaintance. According to this theory, Jobs has no use for handheld, keyboard-less devices like the MessagePad--just as he once had no use for hard drives on the Macintosh. He just doesn’t seem to understand the fact that millions of people don’t work sitting at a desk in an office building. They walk around, and have no laps on which to put laptops. "Jobs doesn’t believe in handwriting recognition," observed Steve Capps, Newton’s principal designer.
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
  Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton: http://newton.tek-ed.com

Steve Scotten <splicer@paroxysm.com> wrote:
  Ed Kummel wrote:

> I doubt that any Mac tablet that $J would have his hands on would be anything to swoon over. You can bet that it would have nothing in common to our beloved green machine...and it would be awkward to use and have consumer level functions that are absolutly not necessary and basically be everything the Newton is not.

Well, I confess that an OS X tablet *would* force me to use HWR... I
don't think that Graffiti was ever ported to OS X. =^)

Still, take my iBook, shrink it, yank the keyboard out, toss the DVD and
throw on a touchscreen? That's a *very* attractive platform to me.

Steve

"The rule in Silicon Valley is that if Apple leaves the table smiling, the other guy got screwed,"
   - Rob Enderle, independant analyst on the Apple/Cisco iPhone lawsuit

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.