Re: [NTLK] Virtual PC

From: Steven Scotten <splicer_at_paroxysm.com>
Date: Mon Apr 09 2007 - 13:11:08 EDT

On Apr 9, 2007, at 5:21 AM, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:

> You'll actually want a later version of VirtualPC, since it'll have
> all the latest speed-up hacks and such.

I only have experience with versions 6 and 7 of VPC, but I offer this
information for whatever it may be worth.

If you have a G5 processor, you *must* run VPC 7. No other version
will run on a G5.

If you have Intel, of course there are a host of other options, any
of which will be better than VPC, plus no version of VPC will run
anyway.

If you have a G4, I don't think that VPC 7 is any faster than VPC 6.
It may in fact be slower.

In any case, there is no version of Virtual PC on any processor that
is not painfully slow. We're talking type on keystroke, wait a few
seconds, see the letter appear. Copy and paste and watch the text you
pasted appear letter by letter like a teletype. Games written for 80s
vintage 286 PCs won't have enough horsepower to keep up running under
DOS.

It's tolerable for an "occasional test" scenario, but if you will
need it on a regular basis, go to Goodwill or eBay and see if someone
has a 133mHz laptop for $50 before you dump $150 on Virtual PC, which
is discontinued and won't be supported for long anyhow.

Steve