Re: [NTLK] Poor soldering of eMate memory modules

From: Adam Goddard <pashosh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Fri Sep 29 2006 - 02:01:40 EDT

On 29/09/2006, at 2:16 PM, Martin Joseph wrote:
> Funny you should say that, as a shot of whiskey is supposedly a time
> tested means for stopping your hand from shaking. I have been told
> by a brain surgeon friend, that this is standard in operating rooms
> around the globe.
>

> Marty
>
> PS What you are describing is considered "re-flowing".

Solder "Reflowing" is actually taking the PCB with special SMD solder
paste, the components placed ever so carefully on top of this, and then
placing it inside a "Reflow Oven" which heats up the entire board and
components until the paste "flows" onto the PCB pads and the pins of
the devices. The temperature of these ovens is carefully adjusted to
follow the "Reflow curve" for particular types of pastes and devices,
common temperature of reflow is about 260-280°C. I haven't seen these
memory upgrades, but it sounds like they weren't cooked right. ^_^

Frank, you use 450°C for soldering? What kind of solder are you using?
My iron rarely goes above 400°C unless for heavier duty stuff. I
usually set it to about 375°C for my 60% Tin / 40% Lead 0.71mm and 1mm
solder. Works a charm, and keeps my tips healthy.

Kind Regards,
   - Adam Goddard