Re: [NTLK] Giving the Newton some USB lovin' (long'n'winded!) [Related topic, off in another direction]

From: Adam Goddard <pashosh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Thu Sep 28 2006 - 04:47:20 EDT

On 28/09/2006, at 3:41 PM, Andrei Chichak wrote:
> The issues that I see are that the hole on the back of the newt is
> too small for an A connector, and the documentation for the ISS on
> the newt (J6) would need an external clock to go faster than 230.4K
> baud. There isn't a clock pin input on the J6, so perhaps it will go
> to 2M baud nicely. Much experimentation required.

My PCB mount Type A USB sockets fit exactly inside the square cutout
that you are talking about. I was actually going to use an SMD mount
USB Type-B mini in my deisgn, mainly because I didn't want people to
try to plug their Flash drives into it. :-P
Would people prefer this smaller port, or the larger Type A? Utilising
the Type a would be less of a hassle as the mini type B will require a
bit of plastic working.

Here are type A & B normal sized sockets:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/43990i0.jpg
And here is the Mini-B socket:
http://www.accesscomms.com.au/images/USB-Mini-Type-B.jpg
http://www.lumberg.com/main/produkte/abbild190/2486_01.jpg