Re: [NTLK] 5volt/ 3.3 volt Newton/eMate PCMCIA mod...it's possible

From: Jason Lindsay <bioshazard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 25 2006 - 13:16:54 EDT

On 9/25/06, Alex Perez <aperez@alexperez.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I'm new to the list, but my electronics experience seems like it could
> be useful here. My understanding is that all Newton products do not
> properly support 3.3 volt PCMCIA cards, and this seems to be becoming a
> larger and larger issue as time progresses, especially with WiFi cards,
> since (I believe) all Prism2-chipset based cards are 3.3v

Well, first and foremost, welcome!

This sounds, at least to me, like a fairly hefty undertaking, ("Me", in this
case, being the guy who truly believes that soldering irons' primary purpose
is burning fingers) but I'm glad to see someone attempt it.

Personally, I would not have a huge need for this type of mod, but I'm
pretty sure there are people who have been waiting for just this. I wish
you good luck in this endeavour, and happy hacking.

By the way, if/when you pull this off, if you're looking for something new
to play with, I would really like to see someone try to add a USB port to
the newton. I'm sick of screwing around with serial cables, IC dongles, and
SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW transfers. Just a suggestion.