Re: [NTLK] My Newton Wish List

From: Adam Goddard <pashosh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Sat Sep 23 2006 - 10:59:22 EDT

On 24/09/2006, at 12:36 AM, Lord Groundhog wrote:
> Thanks Adam. You've answered some questions I'd have asked if I'd
> known
> enough about the subject to be that specific.
>
> In the light of your considerations, I'm getting the impression that a
> separate panel that can be plugged into the Newton power socket would
> be
> better.
>
> Thinking about it, that would permit a solar panel the dimensions of a
> 2100.
> Question: is it feasible to make hinge panels together? If so, a
> panel
> could theoretically made of two or even three "slabs" the size of the
> Newton.
>
> Of course, your point about the weight and brittleness of the panels
> becomes
> a consideration once we talk about that kind of size increase. And it
> loses
> a lot of the "cool" factor at that size.
>
> And now that you mention it, the amount of time my Newt spends in my
> pocket
> or rucksack, means the solar panel would only be doing its job when I'm
> using the Newton. For me, that means when the screen protector/solar
> panel
> is folded back and my hand is covering it to hold my MP while I'm
> writing.
> I hadn't thought about that before.
>
> OTOH, I understood Matt's original intention to be providing a top-up
> while
> you're using it, so I'm not sure how all this affects that.
>

> Shalom.
> Christian

If we can find panels that will do the job at the size of the
lid/hinge, I would have it mounted underneath, i.e. so the panel is
facing the lcd when the lid is closed, or even have it reversible so it
can go either way. I'm guessing it would be about 3 times the thickness
of the current hinge. All in all, it's not gonna be cheap, or
indestructible.

Regards,
   - Adam Goddard