Re: [NTLK] Modern Newton Book Tools?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Tue Sep 12 2006 - 17:58:58 EDT

On 9/12/2006 2:40 PM, Javier Monllor wrote:
> Can you elaborate on the difference between formats?
>
> Tovi

Well for starters Paperback does not have bookmarks of any sort. It
does remember your position, until you reset your Newt then it forgets.
  But if you remember the sentence of or phrase where you left off you
can do a search for that and find your position.

Paperback does have a simple table of contents system, but I never found
it very useful unless I edited the source text so that it worked the way
I wanted. But if I am going to do that I might as well do it though
bookmaker and have more flexibility. But for a streamline quick table
(but not very accurate) table of contents Paperback can't be beat.

Newton Books allow for graphics and Paperback does not.

Paperback allow for changing the font size on the fly. Where Newton
Books are set when they are made and can't be changed (unless you have
the source file, make the changes and install the new package in your Newt).

Paperback requires a "reader" program (it is usually installed with the
book package) so usually takes sightly more room than a Newton Book as
its reader is the Newt's ROM.

Paperback does not have any sort of "pages". So there is not a way to
go to say page 15. You do have a way to jump inside the book (a bar you
tap on) to get to various places but it is not exact. However you can
do a search for what you want to get around this if you lost your
position due to a reset for example.

A Newton Book is faster to navigate than Paperback as all the pages are
prerendered.

Paperback is streamline fast at creating books. You simply drop the
text on the Paperback program (available in both Mac and Windows) and a
package file is created in the same directory. Double click the program
to bring up the preferences. There is also a creation tool on UNNA
where you just give the URL and it creates a Paperback book that is sent
to you. Not sure if it still works, but it did last I knew.

Paperback uses all of the available screen space and works in portrait
and landscape modes equally well. Where Newton Book is designed for a
certain type screen either in portrait or landscape.

Personally I prefer Newton Book as I like the way it is set up and it
remembers my position even if I do a reset. But many others like the
ability to change the font size on the fly, fast creation and one
package works in all screen sizes. Hope this answers your questions

-Dan