Re: [NTLK] Ethernet Help

From: Alex Santos <izabella.misiewiczsantos_at_neostrada.pl>
Date: Mon Sep 04 2006 - 08:26:15 EDT

Here is what I do to connect:

Whenever you see the word 'Note:' it's because I am not clear or
unsure and need further explanation myself so I ask anyone out there
to kindly skim to those and provide details if you are so inclined.

Step 11) Failed…if it did for you too. Read step 12.

Firstly make sure you have the correct drivers for your Newton's
Ethernet Card.

Secondly, connect your Newton to a router or I suppose directly to
your OS X mac, whether it's a PowerPC or Intel Mac should make no
difference, I am on an intel Mac and was previously on a PowerPC mac,
both work without any changes.

On the Mac side you will need to install Escale OSX. you can find it
here: http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/

The following is a brief summary of what it does as per the website:
Escale is a MacOS X application that lets you install packages and
use the Mac keyboard over the serial port, AppleTalk and TCP/IP with
Rendezvous.

Escale is currently available in English, Japanese and French.

Once you install the software on both sides, driver's for the
Ethernet Card on the Newton and Escale you are ready.

Now, I should point out that I find the connection sort of
intermittent without any viable explanation. So if it doesn't work on
the first go try again.

I will try now and detail it here:

1) Restart your Newton just to make sure the software is loaded up.

2) I'm not sure if you need to turn on Personal File Sharing, found
in the Services tab of the Sharing Preferences, but turn it on
anyway, it won't hurt. I do believe that is AppleTalk as it the
service describes itself as follows: Other Macintosh users can access
your computer at afp://192.168.2.6/ or browse for "iMac" by choosing
Network from the Go menu in the Finder. The specific IP and "iMac"
are specific to my computer but may vary from computer to computer.
In any case turn it on, like I said, it won't hurt.

3) Launch Escale on the Mac side (I suppose on the PC, the equivalent
of Escale should be launched but I don't know what that might be).

4) Escale will be waiting for a Newton connection, now you should be
aware that Escale can make several different types of connections. Go
to the Escale Menu and select Preferences. I will use TCP/IP
actually. You should be able to have them all three on, TCP/IP,
AppleTalk and Serial but I will turn on only TCP/IP and leave
AppleTalk and Serial turned off. Why? Well, remember earlier on I had
mentioned I am having intermittent connectivity problems? In the
Advanced part of Escale's preferences, if you plan to use zero
configration, you will need to setup a connection port which you can
open in your router or OSX's Sharing prefs Firewall settings, or you
can just have your Firewall off while you test it out. From the
Advanced prefs of Escale turn on Use Rendezvous. I will take the
opportunity to troubleshoot it now.

5) So far so good, Escale is up and running, it's waiting for the
Newton so let's head on over there. Launch the Dock package. Click
the Extras icon, locate Dock and launch it.

6) Come to think of it, there may be a few other things you will need
to setup on the Newton side. My knowledge here is kind of half witted
but I will do my best. So let's quickly open Preferences. Remember we
are doing all Newton sided work here so leave your mac alone for now.
Tap the AppleTalk Preference. Mine is setup for Connect Using
EtherTalk and the Card selected is my 3COM. OK, that's done. I'm not
sure if that is a necessary step for TCP/IP but it may be, anyway it
doesn't hurt to have it setup correctly.

NOTE: If anyone out there can explain the difference between
connecting with LocalTalk versus EtherTalk for step 6), that would be
greatly appreciated. I think LocalTalk is the old networking protocol
used in the 80's when System 6 and 7 were contemporary.

7) Let's loacte and launch Internet Setup. This is an Apple Computer
package so I do believe it should be already bundled on your Newton.
If not it should be a free download on UNNA.org. Once launched you
will need to create a New/Generic Setup, it's the method by which you
will connect your Newton device. Click Connect using, and select
Ethernet. Tap Next and on the next window, type or write a name for
this Setup, Ethernet should suffice or you decide. I am using a
router at home for my home network so I use DHCP otherwise you need
to select Manual and input your Local IP Address, Subnet Mask,
Gateway/Router Primary DNS/Name Server Address and Domain Name.

NOTE: Regarding the last sentence. If you don't know what to place in
those fields please chime back. I may need some help from others to
help you if the case is that you chime back.

I will continue my step by step using the DHCP configuration, this is
assuming you have a router which provides your machines IP addresses,
that's in a nutshell what DHCP does.

8) After tapping Continue we are asked for the Domain Name, I'm
leaving it blank maybe you should to.

NOTE: If anyone thinks this should be filled in please provide details.

9) Tap Done. You have now setup your Newton for connectivity. Tap the
close windows icon - the X.

10) Open the Dock, choose to connect via TCP/IP, TAP preferences. I
chose to use ZeroConfig (zero configuration). Here I assume the DHCP
server (your router) provides the details. In terms of link, if you
have various 'locations, for lack of a better word, you can have the
Newton ask you which you want to use, depending on how you want to
connect.

11) It failed, arghh.

12) Try this. Eject the Newton's ethernet card and quit Escale,
restart the Newton while the ethernet card remains removed. Once the
Newton is back up, open Escale, plugin the ethernet card, open the
dock and try to reconnect.*

*In the Escale prefs turn on all the connection types.

Well, it continues to fail on me so let's try AppleTalk

With the Dock open

1)Connect via AppleTalk

2)Connect to 'other computer', it should then search for a Mac.

Well, well, all this for nothing, at least for me. As I said, I have
intermittent 'luck' with this. IO am not sure why.

I hope to one day just completely wipe my Newton and reinstall
everything fresh, maybe there is something corrupted on my Newton.

Alex--